Image Map

It's easy being green!

24 March 2013

Today I want to talk about my latest obsession. I still struggle with eating gluten-free and am constantly trying to make sure that I'm eating clean and healthy. I know that the more nutrients I put into my body the better I'll feel, and especially as I get older, I really want to feel my best and take care of my body.

While I was in Hawaii, my grandmother told me that my aunt Lala made her a green smoothie because it was jam-packed with cancer fighting super foods. I had seen green smoothies before but thought they had to taste disgusting. I hate most green, super foods -- like spinach and kale, which are the base of these smoothies. I was intrigued though and figured I'd give it a try.

Lala came over and brought all the ingredients we needed:

  • spinach
  • cucumber
  • celery
  • parsley
  • mint
  • apple
  • banana
  • lemon juice
  • lime juice
She recommends using organic whenever possible. We chopped everything up, added some water and blended, blended, blended. I was shocked at how GOOD it tasted!





Grandma and I continued to make green smoothies every day and I came home a convert. I love that I can add anything else to the base that I have on hand -- mango, pineapple, orange juice, strawberries, you name it!

I'm really wanting to try this detox green smoothie and also try out freezer prepping a weeks worth of smoothies to save time in the mornings.

In the couple of weeks I've been drinking them, I feel and notice a difference. I feel lighter, cleaner and more energized. I'm even slowlllly getting Keith to like them :)

This week I bought this book.....the author really breaks down the science of creating the perfect smoothie, for whatever your need is. It ranges from mood-boosting to pre and post workout smoothies, with everything in between. I'm excited to give it a whirl this week!

Has anyone else jumped on the green smoothie bandwagon? I'm always looking for new ones to make and try :)

1 comment :

  1. Oh Gentel, you're going to love drinking green things! I used to make green smoothies but my blender isn't powerful enough so now we just juice. But when you get a good green smoothie--- boy is it delicious and packs a punch of energy. Let me know if you get any great, life changing recipes! Have you seen the documentary Fat Sick and Nearly dead? You'd love it. It's about juices, but the health coaches I worked with at my last job swore by the smoothies more because you get to retain the fiber.

    ReplyDelete