Image Map

Getting Organized: Meal Planning

09 March 2014

You could say that I am in FULL-blown nesting mode. I am obsessed with cleaning, organizing, cleaning some more and anything scented that smells "clean". I am a mad woman.

For example, in just the past few days, I've tackled cleaning my car; organizing our cleaning cabinet; coming up with a new mail organization system; and baby girl's room is 110% done. Not to mention my house is spotless because I feel the need to clean every.single.day. Where I'm getting the energy to do this is beyond me.

Today, I decided I wanted to try meal planning again. In cleaning out my pantry last week (oh yeah, forgot to mention that one), I was blown away at how much food I have in my pantry and freezer. So I decided not to grocery shop and instead we had a weeks' worth of meals just by using up what we already had on hand. I think sometimes I go to the store without much of a plan and just buy random things. Then I run out of staples and go back to the store. Then I get a random craving, and send Keith :) I would say I probably go three times a week! WAY too many trips to the store. So, instead I'm going to take a half hour on Sundays to plan our dinners for the week and then make ONE trip to the store that day.

I'm also giving myself a challenge of only spending $50 on this trip. If I plan my meals out smartly, I should be able to use everything by the end of the week. Each meal should also make enough leftovers for me to take to lunch the next day, and then I only have to purchase breakfasts and snacks. We are fortunate that Keith's company caters his lunch every day, and they have a full kitchen so he grabs breakfast and snacks there. It definitely saves us a lot of money, since the boy does not like leftovers lol.

Here is our menu for this week!

Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/Sunday


 I've made all these recipes before and I'm hoping to have four weeks of meals we love, and be able to rotate them in and out depending on our moods. Gotta love Pinterest for the new ideas :)

I honestly think that this will simplify our lives, solve the constant "what's for dinner" question and free up more time and money. I also think that this will help keep us eating healthy and on budget once baby girl gets here. 

Anyone else meal plan? Any tips for me or favorite recipes you care to share? 



No comments :

Post a Comment